Houseboats in Kerala
The Houseboats of kerala are giant country crafts, measuring up to 80 feet in length, retrieved from being lost to the State altogether. Once they ruled the backwaters, poled along by one or two men, heavily loaded with rice, coconut and other commodities. But in the recent times, the kettuvalloms have been replaced by more and modern modes of transport, relegating them to neglect and decay.
A fleet of houseboats with all modern facilities awaits you. Take a few days off from your stressfull life and experience the wonderful cruise down the magical and mystical backwaters of Kerala. Relax as the sun sets on the scenic backwaters of the Vembanad lake.
Centuries old back waters in Kerala has become the new tourist attraction in India, after the tourist paradise Kashmir went into the threat of militant attacks. A glide in a "Kettuvallom" (Houseboat) is sure to rob your heart.
"Kettuvallom" (Houseboat) :
Kettuvallam is a country boat that was used in the early days for the transport of goods from the isolated interior villages to the towns. With the advent of roads, bridges and ferry services, gradually the Kettuvalloms went out of scene. Now these Kettuvalloms are back again as a major tourist attraction. A ride on a Kettuvallom is a fabulouse way to explore the fascinating beauty of the backwaters.
A houseboat is about 60 to 70 feet in length and has a width of around 13 feet in the middle. The materials that go into the making are all local and ecco friendly; bamboo poles, coconut fibre, ropes, bamboo mats, carpets etc.
Features of Houseboat :
- 1. Each houseboat is of excellent construction and luxurious furnishing with exquisite flooring, hull . and valavara (canopy). They are in top cruise worthy condition.
- 2. Each houseboat is provided with a sun deck, spacious living / dining area.
- 3. Each houseboat with attached toilets, separate toilets for crew.
- 4. Spacious passage and a neat, classy kitchen.
- 5. Kitchen is properly protected from hazards by fireproofing and fire extinguishers.
- 6. Clean environment with a hygienic storage hold, free from insects And safe fuel storage facilities.
- 7. Clean good quality linen, blankets, towels etc.
- 8. Log books and tourist records are updated regularly and the boat has a valid license.
- 9. Log books and tourist records are updated regularly and the boat has a valid license.
- 10.The service of professional cooks are available on the boat.